Prepping for your Boudoir Session
It’s not a secret that Your man Love’s to see you scantily-clad. Thanks to a man’s visual drive, and more and more women being confident enough to celebrate the uniqueness of their bodies, Boudoir photography can be a fun and empowering experience for a women.
Boudoir can be as subtle or as bold as you want it to be. It is about intimacy,beauty, seduction, femininity. It’s about you, and embracing who you are. It’s about feeling beautiful in your skin.
Boudoir does not have to be a one time thing. Most client’s come back for a shoot at least once or twice. Some it may be a yearly thing they do for themselves. With that in mind, I tell my client’s , getting in shape is admirable, but those last 10 pounds are no reason not to do the shoot now. When you do loose the last 10 pounds that’s just another shoot in the future.
That being said here are some tips and tricks to help prepare for your boudoir shoot with me or someone else.
- Don’t wait until last minute to shop for your session wardrobe, especially if you are aiming for a specific look. Shopping for the perfect lingerie can take time and the stress of last minute shopping can ruin your overall experience.
- Make sure your lingerie fits you properly Lingerie that is too small or too big is not flattering and can become a distraction in certain poses making it difficult to get some of our requested shots. If you are not sure of the size you should be buying, take a trip to a lingerie boutique that provides this service and have a professional size you. If you do not know where to go, the ladies at Victoria’s secret, Layne Bryant and Torrid are always happy to help. ( I do offer a personal shopping service where I go with you and pull outfits for you to try on).
- Remember that your hands and feet may be the focus of some of your session images so be sure to get or give yourself a mani/pedi. If you wear colored polish, make sure your fingers and toes do not clash with each-other and that the colors will look great with your lingerie and/or other outfits you plan on wearing during your session.
- Make sure that you do not forget to shave your legs, bikini line and underarms. You’d be surprised how many client’s forget this. Get any waxing done at least 3-5 days before your photo-shoot. As sometimes areas can be red and swollen after a wax session.
- If you must wear deodorant to your session, be sure that it is clear to avoid transfer onto dark lingerie and clothes.
- Tan lines and boudoir photography are not friends. If possible avoid situations that may lead to unsightly tan lines for two weeks leading up to your session.
- Self tanners don’t work as well as you think they do and we can almost guarantee the camera will think you are orange. We can always ass a warm glow to your skin but trying to remove the affects of self tanner is difficult and not always successful. It can also transfer an unpleasant color to linens and lingerie so it’s something we ask our clients to avoid.
- Stretching out before your session and drinking plenty of water will help reduce how sore you are after your session. What most people don’t realize is the holding these sexy poses long enough for us to grab the shot can be taxing on your muscles, especially after a couple hours of doing so.
- Do not wear tight fitting clothing or items with tight elastic on the day of your session because they can leave marks on your skin in places we intend to photograph bare.
- If possible, cut off all tags off your lingerie before your session to save time.
- get enough sleep the night before your session . If you are exhausted or hungover , it will show in your session images.
- We provide Makeup and Hair services, please arrive makeup free. Moisturizer is encouraged.
- Be sure to lotion up just before your session, especially if you tend to have dry skin.
- Remove all stickers (price, size, ect.) from the bottom of your heels. If your heels are not new take some time to clean them up a bit. Don’t forget forget the bottom of the heels will show in your session images so be sure to give them some love too.
- Avoid lotions and body spray with glitter or shimmer in them. those pretty little flecks that everyone loves may look great in person but they are not camera friendly.